Taking care of your own parents can be a lot of work—on top of caring for your children, managing the household, and working a job, too. The reality in most families is that adult daughters take on the majority of the caregiver responsibilities. So what happens when her husband’s parents need help too?
Daughter-in-law to the rescue! Speaking from experience, we do it to help our husband with the stress of caregiving, and maybe we are just better at it. Unfortunately daughters-in-law are often underappreciated and don’t get the credit they deserve. So for all those people who have only sons…treat your daughters-in-law well. They might be your caregiver many years in the future.
Top five reasons adult children need an Aging Life Care Manager:
- You are stressed and overwhelmed about how to take care of an elderly or disabled family member
- You have to make decisions quickly due to a crisis, and it is too complex to figure out on your own
- You are trying to choose an assisted living community and find the options confusing and you do not want to make a mistake
- You have not been successful on your own in managing challenging behaviors associated with dementia.
- You do not have the time or expertise to manage the care of your family member and what to hire a professional.
by Joan Garbow, MSW, LCSW, CCM